What is Radiation Therapy?
Radiation therapy uses types of radiation to treat cancer and non-cancer diseases. Radiation works by damaging the genetics in cancer cells and therefore stopping them from growing. Eventually these cells will die off and are cleared from the body. Side effects of radiation occur because normal cells can be affected as well but are able to repair the damage unlike cancer cells. This helps us to treat cancer and allow your body to heal itself.
- People Living with Cancer
- Cancer Survival Toolbox
- RT Answers
- American Cancer Society (ACS)
- American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- National Cancer Institute (NCI)